How We Have Changed: The View on PRU13


When I was a kid, I always wonder why the adults like to read the newspaper and watch the news on TV. At that time, I just couldn't figure out what is so interesting in the news that make them to be so focus and not to miss the news everyday.

Even the time when I knew there is something called election, I don't really bother. I saw many banners and buntings around my neighborhood. Posters were everywhere with all sort of funny symbols. At that time, I really don't know and don't bother with all these. What I knew was, something important for the adults.

At that time, I even tried to look at the newspaper (not read) and all I saw was words, pictures, and advertisements. Nothing really interesting actually, except some nice pictures (sometime). Most of the time, I just saw some people standing at some places, pointing his/her finger on some location/item for some purpose. Then, there were always pictures of people walking while being followed by many others, shaking hands and speaking aggressively. I don't really know who they were, what they were doing, and what was the purpose.

After so many years, I find myself doing exactly what I saw the adults were doing back then. I read the newspaper everyday, not just to look at the pictures, comics or sports; but on our country news, business section and foreign news. I will turn on the TV at certain time, not for the dramas but prime time news.

I don't even know since when I have become like one of those adults I used to observe but I know that this is part of our life. At one point of time, we will be awaken to acknowledge our rights as a Malaysian, our rights to know about anything in our country, the need to understand our country economy, and the freedom we have to decide on our future. This is because we are MALAYSIAN.

Now I realize that why adults likes to read about the news. It is because we all care about our surroundings and our future. It is because we want to know what is happening around us so that we can make a better decision for the improvement of our future. Hence, the adults in the past solely rely on newspaper and TV/radio for any news. If our parents can make a good decision for us in the past based on limited channel of information, I belief we can now make a better decision than before with all the advancement of information communication technology.

I have never felt the excitement and the urgency of election before. Looks like the advancement of media has changed the way we live and act. This PRU13 is going to be an awesome experience to many of us as a Malaysian.

I bet the kids out there would be thinking what is going on now and why the adults are so excited, just like how we all used to be. So, let us make the right decision and leave a legacy to them so that when they grow up, the will know why the adults now are so excited.

Happy Voting on 5th May 2013, for Democracy and Peace!

Comments

Popular Posts